This April sure lived up to its reputation…rainy! Between rain delays and puddle play, there’s always one thing you should always have with you: Your raincoat! Although it may sometimes slip your mind, raincoats aren’t invincible and they need to be cared for to continue functioning properly. Our laundry experts at Soap Box are here to let you know of 3 easy ways you can clean your favorite springtime shell.
- Start by pouring a small amount of vinegar into a bowl, it can even be diluted for a light cleaning.
- Lay your raincoat flat.
- To begin, use the vinegar solution and sponge or cloth to wipe off any stained areas of the coat.
- Wipe the coat dry, and flip to target any problem areas on the other side.
- Rinse the whole coat with water.
- An optional soak is recommended.
- Fill a tub with enough water to cover the top of the coat.
- Add ½ cup of baking soda and soak for 1 hour.
- Remove the coat from the tub and rinse with water.
- Hang to dry.
Detergent/Soap Cleaning Method:
- Fill a bucket with warm water.
- Add a small amount of soap or detergent and mix.
- Dab a cloth in the mixture and wipe the surface of the coat.
- Scrub away any noticeable stains.
- Turn the coat inside out, and repeat the process.
- The soak from the vinegar method is recommended as well. Follow steps 7-10 from the previous method to finish.
While we don’t recommend this method for all rainwear it can be utilized occasionally!
- Empty the jacket pocket, zip it up and place into the washing machine.
- Wash the jacket on the delicate cycle.
- Hang to dry.
- Option to tumble dry on low if you need your clean coat sooner rather than later!
It may be a somewhat tedious task, but you will be so happy with you fresh raincoat after the cleaning process is done! You can revitalize your rain gear, and be ready for whatever mother nature throws at you. If you have any questions or want to leave your laundry needs to the professionals, contact us today at Soap Box Laundry!